Monday, October 24, 2011

The Last Turk

Here's a photo of the last turk in our flock. He gets butchered this morning. We decided the boys were getting so big and difficult to handle because they were so heavy that we would butcher and freeze them for the holidays.  People say that turkeys are stupid but I did not find that to be the case. They are personable, friendly and curious (okay and not the prettiest flower in the garden), and I was getting attached to the last guy so it is a good thing we get this over with. (And I HATE butchering anyway.)  At this point I wouldn't raise turkeys again unless they were a smaller breed. These commercial broad breasted turkeys are so top heavy they can barely walk. Yesterday our last tom took a dust bath, maybe as an ablution for the upcoming event. Of course Fairchild the cat had to investigate (see photo).  I won't take pictures of us plucking him, etc. Thank you turkeys everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment