Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hay









Sunday a week ago John and I went to Shirley Minghus' ranch across the highway to collect six tons of hay in 90 pound bales (for the horses, of course). A machine called a squeeze helped load but it kept breaking the bales due to a machine malfunction so we ended up loading most of the bales by hand. I didn't know I had it in me, but there's a lot of hay can be moved by sliding and pushing with hands and feet.  Actually, John and I both felt energized by the end of the day but tired. We loaded, counted, strapped down and unloaded. Shirley is one of the amazing ranch women who can do just about anything. Her nephew ran the squeeze. We had to scare up two trailers and an extra truck and still had to go back for the third load.  But now it is under cover in our hay shed ready for the horses to eat this winter. Glad that is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment